Restoring a configuration file
Rather than reconfigure the FortiGate manually, it is possible to upload a saved configuration file.
To restore your FortiGate configuration
- Go to System > Dashboard > Status and locate the System Information widget.
- Select [Restore] beside System Configuration.
- Choose either Local PC or USB Disk depending the location of the file.
- Select Choose File and browse to the correct file in the file manager window.
- If a password was associated with the configuration file, enter it in the Password field.
- Select Restore.
During the installation there are some possible errors that you may come across but the solutions are usually straightforward.
|Error message||Reason and Solution|
|Configuration file error||
This error occurs when attempting to upload a configuration file that is incompatible with the device. This may be due to the configuration file being for a different model or being saved from a different version of firmware.
Solution: upload a configuration file that is for the correct model of FortiGate device and the correct version of the firmware.
When the configuration file is saved, it can be protected by a password. The password entered during the upload process is not matching the one associated with the configuration file.
Solution: use the correct password if the file is password protected.