FortiCloud-managed FortiAP WiFi
In this example, you use FortiCloud to configure a single FortiAP-221C, creating a working WiFi network without a FortiGate unit.
FortiCloud remote management is supported on FortiAP models 221C and 320C.
For this configuration, the FortiAP-221C unit is running version 5.2 firmware. You will create a simple network that uses WPA-Personal authentication.
You can register for a free FortiCloud account at www.forticloud.com.
To create the WiFi network without a FortiGate unit, you must:
- Add your FortiAP to FortiCloud
- Configure the SSID
- Configure the AP platform profile
- Deploy the AP with the profile
Adding your FortiAP to FortiCloud
You need to add the FortiAP unit to your FortiCloud account. This is done through a unique key that can be found under the FortiAP unit.
To add a FortiAP to FortiCloud
- Connect the FortiAP Ethernet interface to a network that provides access to the Internet.
- Open a web browser and navigate to the FortiCloud main page and select + AP Network.
- Enter an AP Network Name and AP Password. This password is used to locally log in to the AP as the administrator. It will be set to all APs in this AP network.
- Set the correct Time Zone and select Submit.
Configuring the SSID
You must establish the SSID (network interface) for the WiFi network.
To configure the SSID
- Select the FortiAP you just created from the home page. You will then be prompted to add an SSID for the AP Network.
In the interface, this is under Configure > SSIDs.
- In Access Control, enter the name of your SSID, set Authentication to WPA2-Personal, enter the Pre-shared Key, and select Next.
- In Security, enable security features as required (select from AntiVirus, Intrusion Prevention, Block Botnet, Web Access, and Application Control) and select Next.
- In Availability, make sure to leave 5 GHz enabled, configure a schedule as required, and select Next.
- Review your SSID in Preview, then select Apply.
Configuring the AP platform profile
The radio portion of the FortiAP configuration is contained in the FortiAP platform profile. By default, there is a profile for each platform (FortiAP model). The SSID needs to be specified in the profile.
To configure the AP profile
- Go to Configure > AP Profile and edit the AP Profile for your FortiAP model (mouse-over the AP Profile to reveal the Edit button).
- Enable the SSID configured earlier for both Radio 1 and Radio 2, for 5GHz coverage.
Deploying the AP with the platform profile
With the SSID and platform profile configured, you must deploy the AP by entering the FortiCloud key for the FortiAP.
To deploy the AP
- Go to Configure > Deploy APs. Here you will be prompted to enter the FortiCloud key, which can be found on the same label as the FortiAP unit's serial number, and select Submit.
|If you have a FortiAP model that does not include a FortiCloud key, you can still add the device to the network. To learn how, see the FortiCloud-managed FortiAP WiFi without a key configuration.|
- In Set Platform Profiles, select the platform profile you created earlier and select Next.
- Follow the rest of the deployment wizard. Select Submit when completed.
You will now be able to connect to the wireless network and browse the Internet. On the FortiCloud website, go to Monitor > Report where you can view monitoring information such as Traffic by Period, Client Count by Period, and more.