FortiCloud-managed FortiAP WiFi without a key
You can manage your FortiAP-based wireless network with FortiCloud even if your FortiAP has no FortiCloud key.
For this example, you will need to have already pre-configured your FortiAP unit with your FortiCloud account credentials. For more information on how to do this, or if your FortiAP has a FortiCloud key (on the serial number label), see the FortiCloud-managed FortiAP WiFi configuration.
You can register for a free FortiCloud account at www.forticloud.com.
To create the WiFi network without a FortiCloud key, you must:
- Configure the FortiAP unit
- Add the FortiAP unit to your FortiCloud account
- Configure the FortiAP
Configuring the FortiAP unit
You need to connect and configure the FortiAP unit through the web-based manager of the FortiGate.
To configure the FortiAP unit - web-based manager
- Connect your computer to the FortiAP Ethernet port. The FortiAP’s default IP address is 192.168.1.2. The computer should have an address on the same subnet, 192.168.1.3 for example.
- Using a browser, log in to the FortiAP as admin. Leave the password field empty.
- In WTP-Configuration, select FortiCloud and enter your FortiCloud credentials. Select Apply.
The FortiAP is now ready to connect to FortiCloud via the Internet.
Adding the FortiAP unit to your FortiCloud account
The FortiAP must be added to the FortiCloud account that has a WiFi network already configured for it.
For an example of creating a WiFi network on FortiCloud, see FortiCloud-managed FortiAP WiFi.
To add the FortiAP to FortiCloud
- Connect the FortiAP Ethernet cable to a network that connects to the Internet.
Restore your computer to its normal network configuration and log on to FortiCloud.
- From the Home screen, go to Inventory > AP Inventory. Your FortiAP should be listed.
- Then go back to the Home screen, select your AP network, and go to Deploy APs.
- Select your listed FortiAP and select Next.
- Make sure your platform profile is selected from the dropdown menu, and select Next.
- In Preview, select Deploy.
The device will now appear listed under Access Points.
You will now be able to connect to the wireless network and browse the Internet. On the FortiCloud website, go to Monitor > Report where you can view monitoring information such as Traffic by Period, Client Count by Period, and more.