Both FortiGate and FortiWiFi units have the WiFi controller feature. If you configure a WiFi network on a FortiWiFi unit, you can also use the built-in wireless capabilities in your WiFi network as one of the access points.
If Virtual Domains are enabled, you must select the VDOM to which the built-in access point belongs. You do this in the CLI. For example:
config wireless-controller global
set local-radio-vdom vdom1
To configure the FortiWiFi unit’s built-in WiFi access point
- Go to WiFi Controller > Local WiFi Radio.
- Make sure that Enable WiFi Radio is selected.
- In SSID, if you do not want this AP to carry all SSIDs, select Select SSIDs and then select the required SSIDs.
- Optionally, adjust the TX Power slider.
If you have selected your location correctly (see Configuring the built-in access point on a FortiWiFi unit), the 100% setting corresponds to the maximum power allowed in your region.
- If you do not want the built-in WiFi radio to be used for rogue scanning, select Do not participate in Rogue AP scanning.
- Select OK.
If you want to connect external APs, such as FortiAP units, see the next chapter, Access point deployment.