Disconnecting a cluster unit from a cluster
Use the following procedures to disconnect a cluster unit from a functioning cluster without disrupting the operation of the cluster. You can disconnect a cluster unit if you need to use the disconnected FortiGate for another purpose, such as to act as a standalone firewall.
You can use the following procedures for a standard cluster and for a virtual clustering configuration. To use the following procedures from a virtual cluster you must be logged in as the admin administrator and you must have selected Global Configuration.
When you disconnect a cluster unit you must assign an IP address and netmask to one of the interfaces of the disconnected unit. You can disconnect any unit from the cluster even the primary unit. After the unit is disconnected, the cluster responds as if the disconnected unit has failed. The cluster may renegotiate and may select a new primary unit.
When the cluster unit is disconnected the HA mode is changed to standalone. In addition, all interface IP addresses of the disconnected unit are set to 0.0.0.0 except for the interface that you configure.
Otherwise the configuration of the disconnected unit is not changed. The HA configuration of the disconnected unit is not changed either (except to change the HA mode to Standalone).
To disconnect a cluster unit from a cluster - GUI
- Go to System > HA to view the cluster members list.
- Select the Disconnect from cluster icon for the cluster unit to disconnect from the cluster.
- Select the interface that you want to configure. You also specify the IP address and netmask for this interface. When the FortiGate is disconnected, all management access options are enabled for this interface.
- Specify an IP address and netmask for the interface. You can use this IP address to connect to the interface to configure the disconnected FortiGate.
- Select OK.
The FortiGate is disconnected from the cluster and the cluster may renegotiate and select a new primary unit. The selected interface of the disconnected unit is configured with the specified IP address and netmask.
To disconnect a cluster unit from a cluster - CLI
- Enter the following command to disconnect a cluster unit with serial number FGT5002803033050. The internal interface of the disconnected unit is set to IP address 18.104.22.168 and netmask 255.255.255.0.
execute ha disconnect FGT5002803033050 internal 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.0