- Installation discusses installing a FortiGate in your network.
- Using the GUI describes how to use the graphical user interface (GUI).
- Using the CLI provides an overview of the command line interface (CLI) for FortiOS. If you are new to the FortiOS CLI, this section provides a high level overview of how to use this method of administration.
- FortiGate Inspection Mode summarizes proxy-based and flow-based inspection modes.
- Fortigate LED Specifications presents a short guide to LED status indicators.
- introduces you to FortiGate models 30-90, also known as the Entry Level models.
- Basic Administration explains basic tasks for setting up a new FortiGate.
- Next Steps lists resources available to help you with more advanced FortiGate configurations.
Differences between Models
Before you get started, note that not all FortiGate models have the same features. This is especially true of the desktop or entry-level models: FortiGate / FortiWiFi models 30 to 90. If you are using one of these FortiGate models, you may have some difficulties accessing certain features. Preliminary information on entry-level models is available below. Consult your model's Quick Start Guide or hardware manual for further details.
The entry-level, or desktop, models can connect to the internet in two simple steps. They also have a number of features that are only available using the CLI, rather than appearing in the GUI.
Naming conventions may vary between FortiGate models. For example, on some models the hardware switch interface used for the local area network is called lan, while on other units it is called internal.
Certain features are not available on all models. Additionally, a particular feature may be available only through the CLI on some models, while that same feature may be viewed in the GUI on other models.
If you believe your FortiGate model supports a feature that does not appear in the GUI, go to System > Feature Select and confirm that the feature is enabled. For more information, see Feature Select.
For more information about features that vary by model, please see the Feature / Platform Matrix.